Meatless Mondays: Swiss Chard and Chickpeas
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Oilve Oil
- 1/4 cup green onions mixed with 1 glove minced garlic
- 5-6 stalks swiss chard
- 1/2 cup garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup low-fat feta cheese
- 1 cup cooked brown rice, optional (save 72 calories per serving)
- In a medium skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and add in the green garlic (see substitution if you can’t find green garlic.)
- Stir in garbanzo beans and let cook until they begin to brown slightly (4-5 minutes.) From there stir in swiss chard (de-stemmed), thyme, and remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Let chard cook saute until it cooks down.
- Remove from heat and toss with brown rice and feta. This would also make for a great dish without the brown rice or mixed with any other type of grain.
Nutritional Information (serves 3): 360 calories, 17g fat, 11mg cholesterol, 560mg sodium, 38.3g total carbs, 8.4g fiber, 4g sugars, 16g protein